Saturday, March 13, 2010

First Day-Laura Betz

Today was our first day in Boston and was nowhere close to what I had anticipated. It was much better. Our trip leaders Jimi and Parashar were welcoming and phenomenal drivers. Most of the day was spent bonding in the car, but overall it was enjoyable. We have a great group, and I am looking forward to the week ahead. 

Before we left we all had our expectations, as far as the weather and hostel were concerned. The weather so far has been rainy but is looking up in the coming days. Tomorrow there is an MIT tour trip. One of my best friends goes there! So I am hoping to hear good things from everyone about it. 

I am excited to start farming. Although my family owns farms I have never taken part of an urban agriculture program. Tonight was wonderful. We ate dinner next door and had sushi which was delicious. The hostel employees have been very accommodating. Today we were assigned another person to learn more about as the trip goes on in a very secret-santa-esque fashion. I think it will be very interesting to see what everyone says at the trip's end. Everyone I've met has been hospitable. 

After dinner my friend and I went looking for shower shoes, to no avail (the only potential downside to the hostel)...On a positive note, we ended up at Cheesecake Factory where I ran into John Hennessy, a sports broadcaster for UMASS hockey. 

 I still can't believe it! It was awesome being able to discuss sports with someone who does this for a living. I can't wait for tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment